Monday, June 8, 2015

Maybe I'm Not Normal!

Last month was my birthday.
Most women my age think their best birthdays are behind them. And I might've thought so too, until this year.
See, I had been waiting awhile for a good day to take my first paddle boarding lesson.. You know, smooth water, gentle breezes and warm sunshine. The 19th wasn't exactly it, but I decide to go for it anyway.

The ocean was super rough... Yeah, 3-5 foot waves, breaking fairly close to shore. And moderate chop beyond that...The wind was gusting at 25-30 knots. But, it was sunny and warm...one out of three isn't bad, right?

Giancarlo, my instructor from Island Water Sports, said under normal circumstances he'd cancel the lesson.
Clearly this wasn't normal.
(Maybe I'm not "normal!")

As usual, I was determined. Possibly more determined than ever since it was my birthday. Life is short and I have a lot to do!


Even though that morning was our first face-to-face meeting, he had somehow figured out that trying to deter me again was out of the question. So he promised to either hold onto me or the board throughout the lesson. I thought that seemed reasonable, even if he had to break that promise, which I'll explain later.

In our phone calls leading up to this beautiful morning on the beach, Giancarlo had been certain that this lesson would live up to its name...Stand Up Paddleboarding. Or SUP, as it's commonly known.   You'll find that hashtag all over Instagram and Twitter.

I assured him I would not be standing up on that board, but he argued.

Then he met me.

Yes, I had told him all about my special muscle condition in our telephone conversations.

"I usually use a wheelchair or walker, unless I'm just going short distances."
"Cool-Cool-Cool." Was his response.
'Ah, to think like the young and uninformed...'

So I went on, "and my balance isn't the best... At times, I have trouble on solid ground!"
"I've worked with people rehabbing from knee and shoulder surgeries before," he answered.

"Yeah, this isn't like that."

Now.  Now, I think he could see what I meant. Not that I'm...how shall I put this? Well, you know. I'm not disabled. Or handicapped... not anymore than anyone else really. We all have something. I tell you that all the time. I just have weaker muscles than you do. That's it.

So, on that morning, he carefully instructed me and closely watched as I mimicked his moves on the sand. We modified where needed. I loved his attention to detail and passion for the sport. He thoughtfully talked me through everything.
 And then we launched!

I knelt on the middle of the board, gripping the paddle like he showed me, while he held onto the back of my board, speaking words of encouragement as we started out.


I hadn't made it very far when a 4 foot wave rolled over me and pushed me under. I reveled in the saltwater that filled my hair, eyes, ears and mouth...It tasted like freedom. My visor floated away!
My first time in the ocean in years and I felt fully alive again!

I came up laughing, but unable to stand... So I grabbed the board and pulled my chest and shoulders up on it. I was breathless but exuberant as I lay there under the heat of the morning sun, thinking, 'what a happy birthday!' I also recall thinking that I was not tired at all. I was charged-up. Energized.

Giancarlo asked if I was ok. I nodded. Then he slapped me a high-five. I thanked him for telling me to leave my sunglasses on my towel!
Back into kneeling position once again, I continued to paddle out. I didn't stop until I reached the end of the Deerfield Pier. Yep, I made it all the way out there with Giancarlo holding onto the back of my board, but not helping me paddle! I was absolutely over the moon that I made it so far!

"Turn the board around and let's head back to shore! I'm going to jump on and paddle now!"

He knelt in front of me, on the board now, so I sat all the way down behind him. It felt nice to have a break, I have to admit.
After the brief respite, he asked if I wanted to resume taking charge of the ship.
"Yes, definitely."

He jumped off and tried to hang onto the back of the board once again. That didn't work. He couldn't hang on and I left him in the surf.
I did not panic...
A million thoughts filled my head, though.
I ended up doing what I do best. I talked myself through it! Hahaha!

'Ok, girlfriend, you've got this.'
I kept paddling.
'Just do what he told you to do.'
And so I did.
'Stay steady.. Lean back.'
The board rolled up and down, differently now than when I was paddling out. I was being pushed from behind...

I was so afraid of upsetting my board, that I wouldn't look back for Giancarlo! But I imagined him bobbing and flailing around back there as he swam like mad after me! (He is a certified lifeguard, though!)

The final push to the beach was exhilarating! I got to ride in like royalty on top of a huge swell prepared just for my dramatic finish! Too bad I wasn't wearing my tiara and cape! It was awesome! I giggled like a little girl!

My BFF and my daughter were there waiting for me! Pretty soon, Giancarlo caught up to us. We all hugged and they took pictures. We gave more high-fives! Tears filled my eyes. (Of course they did)
 I couldn't believe it...

'Best birthday ever...best birthday ever...best birthday ever...'

I kept grinning and thinking that as I watched Suzanne take her lesson...

In fact, I'm still thinking that. The best things in life are not things. Yes, we've all heard that. The best 'things' in life are people (and pets!) and the experiences you get to have with them.

I hope you'll go and enjoy the people in your life. And cherish the experiences you're blessed to have with them! I'm planning to do a lot more of it!
Peace my friends xx




No comments:

Post a Comment