Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Why do I do it?

Kristin and me leading the way at the MDA Muscle Walk!


"You don't really HAVE to be here, you know."

"Isn't it hard enough to get around when you HAVE to be somewhere, I mean, why do more than you HAVE to?"

"I don't think I'd bother, unless I HAD to, if I were in your situation." (My personal favorite because NO ONE knows what they'd actually do if they were in someone else's situation!)

I purse my lips into a half-smile and kind of squint my eyes, when I hear remarks like these from people about volunteering. The entire answer about 'Why?' takes way too long to explain. There are years of life and illness, pain and joy, woven into the answer. So from now on, I will give the short answer by whipping out my phone and showing this picture from the MDA Muscle Walk, which took place here on February 9. I think it's self-explanatory.



(Technically it should say "I roll for..."
...my daughter, Kristin, who has also been diagnosed with hkpp, just so you know) She is more than motivation and all the reason I will ever need to give whatever effort I have into helping the MDA.

What does hkpp stand for?? Hypokalemic Periodic Paralysis. I know. You've never heard of it. It causes episodes of,  you guessed it....periodic muscular paralysis! Good guess.

To learn about hkpp, go to:
hkpp.org


"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."









No comments:

Post a Comment